***Disclaimer:***

This blog is not for the easily offended. It is raw and unedited. It is the forum in which I rant about the things that I am upset about. I do not apologize for anything written therein and warn you that if you read it, you may judge me and my opinions. So do so at your own risk. I try hard not to offend those around me in conversation and then come home and let it all out here. So if you have ever wondered what people really think this may answer that. I will get political, I will get religious, I will be pompous and opinionated. I will be mean, and I will be honest. You have been warned.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

"White/Non Hispanic"

You know what is the most offensive thing to me? The word "White" as an option to mark for race, on applications and government documents.. There may be more cultures and countries that make up this classification than any other. Are they asking if I am of European descent, or if I come from South Africa? Where is the option for scandinavian? Or North Algerian? Those people are just supposed to join all of the rest of the French, Norwegians, and Canadians in the same category?
What really bothers bothers me though, is Having to mark "White/Non-Hispanic" My fathers first language was spanish! I am not non-hispanic. I am proud of my high class Mexican heritage, and the more I learn about my great grandmother, the more it bothers me to dishonor her by stating that I am non-hispanic. Why isn't there an option for "Mostly European with a little bit of Mexican"?
Where is the option for descendants of illegitimate children of Prince Edward of 18th century England, huh? Where is the option for descendants of an Irish soldier who married a Mexican girl and then settled in the United States when it was difficult to be an Irishman in this country? Where is the option for descendant of Eleanor of Acquitain, a very highly loved queen from southern France, the mother of Richard the Lionheart? Where are these options? Why can't I claim my heritage like Native Americans can? Why do I have to be grouped with all of the people of German and Icelandic descent? I am different than them. I have a rich heritage of which I am very proud. My ancestors have each contributed greatly to this world in their own rights, many of whom suffered greatly in doing so. Some were banished to Australia, or forced to leave their home lands in Ireland to live in Scotland, or brutally attacked and forced to travel across the frozen plains of north America only to settle in miserable Utah. Shouldn't I get some kind of scholarship for that? Does the fact that most of them had light colored skin mean that I am assumed to not deserve to be hired above someone with another color of skin. I mean if we're going to have equal opportunity, lets really look at things equally here. My ancestors worked hard to survive let alone for what I have, and so have I. I grew up in a household with a lot less money than the households of kids who are a different race than I am who are being favored for jobs and scholarships above me, and I have had to make it through that on my own, with no special treatment. In several of my jobs, I have been the only "white" person on staff. Calling me "white" is the worst thing the government can do for my future. It puts other people above me, when they are no different than me. We are all immigrants or descendants of immigrants. If we are going to be Politically Correct, then lets be Politically Correct.
I am English, French, Irish, Scottish, and Scotts-Irish, and Mexican. I am a descendant of Mormon Pioneers, a daughter and granddaughter of a WWI Vet, two WWII Vets, and a Vietnam War Vet. I am not "White" my skin is peach in the winter and tan in the summer. And I am certainly not "Non-Hispanic". So from now on, until a new option is created, I refuse to state that my race is something that I am not. Put that in the Census and smoke it.

1 comment:

  1. I love your passion. I laughed, I cried, I completely enjoyed this. You're so right. Love you.

    ReplyDelete